Thursday, October 27, 2005

What happened to our conscience?

There's a strange phenomenon happening in New York City that's quite disturbing. I'm not sure if it's happening in other parts of the country but it's a growing problem here. Somehow, it has become commonplace (for lack of a better word) for people to hit someone with their car and then drive away. I don't get it. Perhaps it's because I don't drive everyday but i'm afraid to run over a bird, and I don't even like animals.

A young boy, 15 years old, was hit not once but twice by the same car a block away from his school. How do you put it in your mind to not get out of your car? I know you would be scared, I would be terrified!

Another young boy, 10 I think was hit and killed on a service road in Queens. The driver of the car, in all of his remorse, went home and called his lawyer. He was convicted yesterday to 3 1/2 years in prison. The family of the driver blamed the family of the young boy for the tragedy because he didn't have on a helmet.

I know suffering the consequences of our actions kind of sucks sometimes but really. How does one face themselves in the mirror after causing that kind of destruction. The 15-year-old, last I heard this morning, was declared brain dead. There's a driver of gray/silver Chevy Corsica whose heart should be real heavy right now. But it scares me to think that he/she just doesn't really care at all.

2 Comments:

Blogger TD said...

There is a general lack of regard for another persons life / space. It begins at the basest of levels. Like... elbowing someone in the street and not even saying "I'm sorry" all the way up to hits and runs. Because honestly... they don't give a fuck about the next person. PERIOD. And I dare say the phenom is not just in NY... I think folks are becoming desensitized to anyone else but themselves. *sigh*

It's a sad day.

10:34 PM, October 30, 2005  
Blogger Max said...

Cosign to what TD said. It's just a plain old lack of care for human life. This little experiment of ours on the social contract is going further and further down. It's fucking depressing.

11:37 AM, November 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home