Friday, August 12, 2005

Bye Bye Mastercard

Ok. So it's 1 card out of like 10. But I'm slowly making strides to being more financially healthy.

Ten years ago when I got my first credit card, which happened to be a Mastercard ironically, I wasn't concerned about APR's and annual fees. All I knew was that I had access to somebody else's money. Of course, it came to haunt me a few years later.

But now. I'm a lot more financially aware. I know where my money goes. And right now, it's not going where I want it. I'm paying Visa and Visa and Visa and Visa and Mastercard and Mastercard. Well minus one Mastercard. Called those mothersuckers this morning, 9am on the dot, and said cancel that sucker. Of course they tried to keep me around. Tried to lower my APR TWICE. But I wasn't having it. If 6 months ago when I was trying to lower my interest rates and making paying off my bills happen, they had cooperated, maybe we wouldn't be parting company now. But they said I didn't qualify. So, you don't qualify to be in my wallet.

I'm slowly learning to play this money game. I've got 3 and a half years to be ready to own something. That's my self-imposed ownership goal. I can't see myself paying someone else's mortgage for life.

Now, if I could just get rid of Macy's, Lane Bryant, Avenue and Victoria's Secret. That goal seemed unattainable a year ago. I finally caught a glimpse of the light at the end of a very long tunnel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home