Saturday, June 18, 2005

May the Force be with you!

I finally saw Episode III. Toe called me at work and asked if I was doing anything after work. I wasn't, except planning to go home and catch "Angel." So we agreed to go see the movie after I got off work. Of course, I ended up being a slave to the man for an extra hour since I took an extended lunch. It's cool though because lunch was a treat indeed.

Phil, my old boss from Hofstra, came in to the city from Long Island and we caught up and reminisced over Ollie's
chinese food. I had the pepper steak with brown rice. Oh, how I'm going to miss chinese food, I think. More on that later.

Phil is like the coolest white dude on the planet. We met back in 1995 when I started working in The Career Center as a student aide. At the time, the office consisted of Phil, his boss Marvin, and their administrative assistant Marian. Then myself and a young lady named Eileen came on as student aides. I loved working in an office setting. And these three people, especially Phil and Marian were very accommodating. At the end of my first year, I sat down with Phil for a year-end evaluation type meeting. He asked how I liked the job and if I was coming back the following year. I did like the job, I just really hated the tedious shit. You know: holepunching, stapling, things like that. So Phil made me a promise that I would not have to do those things. My main job here on out would be data entry and customer service. And he kept to his word. I don't think I'll ever have a boss as accommadating as he was. Over the three years we worked together, we became friends. He told me about his life at home. His and his wife's desire to have children, even complained about his financial woes. He even supported me when I decided to pledge Sigma Gamma Rho. He'd feed me and let me catch up on sleep in his office. He's just an all around great guy.

Fast forward 10 years and the man still remembers my birthday and always calls to wish me a happy, happy. So we spent lunch catching up on the happenings at Hofstra. Who's in and who's out. How everybody hates the new president of the university and how apparently the law school is slowly taking over every aspect of university life. He talked about his job at another university and how he's working it but looking for something that pays a little more. And I talked about my job and how I'm working it but ready to move on.

It felt good to see him, especially since it's been almost 6 years. Last I saw him was briefly at my graduation. He no longer worked at the university but came throught to celebrate my getting my degree. He is a good friend. I wish the world was filled with more Phils!

Guess I'll blog about my excitement/disappointment with Episode III later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home