Monday, June 13, 2005

Choosing Sides

Ok. I'm going to try this again since my internet at home wanted to act a damn fool!

Saturday night I went to my linesister's bridal shower. It was good to see her. It's a been a lot longer than I care to admit. She was surprised, which is good. It was a bit of a surreal experience though. This was the first real meeting of her old life and her new life. Her old life being us, her sorors and college friends. Her new life being her church friends. There wasn't any reason why we shouldn't all get along. We're all there to celebrate Z's marriage. Yet, there was uneasy tension and some of the women acted very catty. Almost resentful of the fact that we were there and we were comfortable. It almost seemed like they were being territorial as if she had to choose: them or us. Knowing Z, she was totally oblivious to what was going on. And I'm glad that she was. Her shower and her upcoming marriage are reasons to celebrate and rejoice. But there are only so many facetious comments I'm going to sit through before I have to hem some chicks up in the bathroom.

I think what hurts more than anything is that some of these women are standing up for her. Something that I should be doing. I'm not salty because I can't be in her wedding. I'm upset that the women she chose to stand up for her are not doing right by her. She is my sister -- not by blood but by circumstance. I shared 9 weeks with her that no one else has or ever will. No one can understand or comprehend the love I have for her.

I would love for her new friends to openly accept that she had a life before she met them. And whether they like it or not, we'll be around for years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home